1860 chapel openings and more

Photo: Illustrative image for the '1860 chapel openings and more' page

Index of 1860 Primitive Methodist Magazine accounts of chapel openings, re-openings and foundation-stone laying

By Christopher Hill

In the 1860 volume of the Primitive Methodist magazine there are exactly 100 openings, re-openings and foundation stone layings reported. This number includes 43 openings, 43 foundation stone layings and 19 chapel re-openings. It adds up to more than 100 as some chapels appear more than once.

At Scarborough, the foundation stone laying ceremony was very short as in was raining "in torrents".

At Manton near Marlborough, before the chapel was built, Samuel Reeves and Joseph Phelps were tried for holding a service on the village green.

At Garway Hill near Hereford "a sermon was preached by Mr.T. Hughes, of Hereford, at Pontrilas railway station, about four miles from the chapel (kindly offered by the station-master, who was present at the tea-meeting).

At Prior's Hardwick, in working to build the chapel John Wright "was bruised, torn, and gored by an infuriated cow, and was saved from an untimely and melancholy death by a most striking interposition of Divine Providence. "   There is no end to divine providence.

Downloads

1860 chapel openings
1860 chapel openings (695k)
Index of 1860 Primitive Methodist Magazine accounts of chapel openings, re-openings and foundation-stone laying

This page was added by Christopher Hill on 14/02/2018.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.