Almeley Primitive Methodist Chapel

Photo:Primitive Methodist Chapel, Almeley Wootton

Primitive Methodist Chapel, Almeley Wootton

© Copyright Philip Pankhurst and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.

Photo:Almeley PM Chapel - June 1993

Almeley PM Chapel - June 1993

David Hill

Location of Almeley Primitive Methodist Chapel

Almeley Wootton, Almeley Civil Parish, Herefordshire

By Richard Beck

Location GR – SO 33367 52534

 

Prior to the opening of the Chapel in 1870 the Primitive Methodists had used from 1858 the Quaker Meeting House which lies just to the South, seen on OS maps below.

The date of closure has yet to be found.

Plans were submitted for conversion of the Chapel into a house in Feb 2012.

 

Herefordshire Through Time web site states :- Almeley Chapel is situated at Almeley Wootton, which is ¾ of a mile from the village of Almeley. It is a polychrome (multicoloured) brick building with a pyramid-shaped roof, arched double doorway and round window above. On each side wall are three windows.

The chapel was opened in 1870 as a Primitive Methodist Chapel in the Weobley Circuit. An article in the Weobley Circuit Quarterly Magazine of 1913 records the dedication of George Williams who was born in 1844. He converted to Methodism in 1861 and became a lay preacher. His daughter was organist and Superintendent of the Sunday School and later became a lay preacher of the Weobley Circuit.

At one time the chapel had a resident preacher - the Reverend Hardy - who lodged with a local couple.

Camp Meetings were regularly held in a field adjacent to the chapel. A Quaker Meeting House lies only some 200 yards below the chapel and there was often friendly interaction between the two. When the Quakers held their monthly meeting, which would last all day, the Methodist Chapel was used to serve lunch. This favour was returned when the Methodist Chapel was closed for refurbishment as the Quakers allowed them to use their Meeting House for services.

(Information taken from Fred Bluck, Methodism in the Marches)

 

English Heritage, PastScape web site states :-  MONUMENT NO. 1499457, Primitive Methodist chapel at Almeley Wooton built in 1870. Red brick with polychrome dressings.

 

Kelly’s Directory 1895 Hfds & Salop, P 14. ALMELEY There is a Primitive Methodist chapel at Wootton, built in 1870.

Kelly’s Directory 1913 Hfds, P 19. ALMELEY There is a Primitive Methodist chapel at Wootton, built in 1870.

 

Click on the link to History on Line to view a map dated 1890.

 

On the 1887 OS Herefordshire 1:2,500 map the building is marked as Methodist Chapel (Primitive)

On the 1904 OS Herefordshire 1:2,500 map the building is marked as Methodist Chapel (Primitive)

On the 1928 OS Herefordshire 1:2,500 map the building is marked as Primitive Methodist Chapel.

On the 1974 OS Herefordshire 1:2,500 map the building is marked as Almeley Meth Chap

The above maps may be viewed at Old Maps

 

Methodist Church , Statistical Returns, 1940 Birmingham District - 212. Leominster - Almeley. – Structure, brick. Seating Accommodation, 114. Type of Seating, F. School Hall, -. Other Rooms, -.

 

These are the chapels (originally PM) listed in 1940 for the Birmingham District - 212. Leominster :- Leominster (Green Lane), Dilwyn, Stockton, Shirlheath, Ivington, Upper Hill, The Hundred, Hatfield, Weobley, Ledgemoor, Tillington, Almeley, Norton’s Wood, Stockmore, Staunton-on-Wye.

This page was added by Richard Beck on 18/11/2013.