Colchester; Artillery Street Primitive Methodist Chapel

Photo: Illustrative image for the 'Colchester; Artillery Street Primitive Methodist Chapel' page

By Keith Guyler, 1994

By Lauren Haines

The Artillery Street chapel was built in 1839 when the PM society reached a membership of 55. C.H. Spurgeon was converted in that very chapel in 1850 by a sermon, possibly by Samuel Nightingale who preached there. The chapel became the head of the Colchester circuit in 1859 and by 1873 it reported having 70 members and congregations of up to 300 people. Unfortunately, these membership numbers did not last and began to decline in the late 1870’s but by 1887 had regained its numbers to 66 members and a congregation of up to 250 people. The church was renovated in 1892 and closed in 1957. In 1994, the building was reported as being the Spurgeon Memorial Evangelical Church after the conversion story.

Sources

http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=22011

This page was added by Lauren Haines on 07/05/2014.
Comments about this page

The present appearance of the chapel is due to that 1892 renovation: an image of the 1839 appearance can be seen in Kendall's History vol. 2 p. 239, and an account reporting it - and suggesting that the renovations were not exactly an improvement - can be found on the present church's website http://www.artillery-street.org.uk/index.php/about-us/history

By sandy calder
On 26/01/2015

We have been officially known as Artillery Street Evangelical Church for the past 10 years or so. Our web site is at:

www.artillery-street.org

By Pastor Peter Millist
On 16/03/2016

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.