Audley; Wood Lane PM Chapel

Photo: Illustrative image for the 'Audley; Wood Lane PM Chapel' page

Staffordshire

By Robert Mayer

The memorial stone was laid by Mrs Thomas Allen of Tunstall.

A large number of people were in attendance; they formed up in Red Street and walked in a procession to Wood lane.

The Rev P. Pugh presented Mrs Allen with a silver trowel, mallet and square, provided specially for the occasion.

The trowel had the following inscription:

‘Presented to Mrs Thomas Allen of Tunstall, by the trustees of the intended new Primitive Methodist Chapel, Wood Lane, 7th April 1862.’

Mrs Allen then proceeded to perform the ceremony in the name of the Trinity.

The Rev Pugh delivered a short but pithy and appropriate address.

Mrs Allen gave £10 to a collection in aid of the building fund.

The attendees retired to a tent in a field adjacent to the Wesleyan Chapel where tea was provided and some one hundred took part in the meal.

The entire proceedings were of an interesting and profitable character.

In 1870 at the Primitive Methodist Conference in Nottingham the Reverend Phillip Pugh was described as the ex president.

In 1863 Mrs Thomas Allen laid the foundation stone at a new chapel at Bradley Green and it was reported that

‘This is the fifth foundation stone that this lady has laid in this circuit within a little more than four years. She now has in her possession five beautiful silver trowels.’

Mr Thomas Allen appears to have been a printer of Plex Street, Tunstall. Clearly a locally important Primitive.

The chapel was demolished in 1972/73.

This page was added by Robert Mayer on 14/10/2012.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.