Barkby Primitive Methodist Chapel, Leicestershire

Photo:Barkby Primitive Methodist Chapel

Barkby Primitive Methodist Chapel

Barkby Local History Group

Photo:Barkby Primitive Methodist Chapel

Barkby Primitive Methodist Chapel

Barkby Local History Group

Photo:The former Chapel now

The former Chapel now

Ray Young

By Ray Young

The chapel was built in 1886 on the Brookside (now no. 18) at a cost of £200, with seating for 120, and by 1918 was debtless. As well as Sunday services there was a Sunday school.

Because of the decline in attendances in the 1920s, the Chapel was closed and sold, and the building later converted to a grocery shop and living accommodation. This closed in the 1960s and was converted into a private house.

There was also a Wesleyan Chapel in School Lane and this then became the Methodist Chapel. This seated about 50 people with a small balcony (on an eye level with the preacher!).

Because of dwindling numbers this closed in 1970 and was sold and then converted into a private residence.

This page was added by Ray Young on 16/01/2017.
Comments about this page

Leicester Record Office:

Ref. N/M (DE1971). N/M19/1: Barkby Primitive Methodist Chapel Records, 1872-c.1912. 

By Raymond E.O.Ella
On 07/03/2018

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.