Berwick-on-Tweed Primitive Methodist Chapel Northumberland

Photo:Photo No.1

Photo No.1

Photo:Photo No.2

Photo No.2

Photo:Photo No3

Photo No3

Photo:Photo No.4

Photo No.4

Photo:Photo No.5

Photo No.5

Photo:Berwick-on-Tweed Primitive Methodist Chapel, built for the Wesleyans in 1797, as it was in 1996

Berwick-on-Tweed Primitive Methodist Chapel, built for the Wesleyans in 1797, as it was in 1996

Keith Guyler 1996

This chapel built in 1829 no longer exists

All that remains of Berwick PM Chapel is a wall in a car park.(Photo No.1).The plaque from the original building is embedded into it.(Photo No.2) On the opposite side of the wall in College Lane, in the garden of a house, there appears to be the remains of a doorway.(Photo No.3) It is likely that this was once the main entrance to the chapel and that the house may have been the manse.

Before Methodist Union the congregation at the Wesleyan Chapel in Walkergate (Photo No.4) was so small that they invited the Primitives to buy their chapel and join them. The scheme was first suggested in 1918 and the sale was completed in 1921. The  proceeds of the sale were £400. This was invested by the Amble Circuit and the Primitive Methodist Chapel was sold immediately afterwards. Before it was finally pulled down it was used as a warehouse. Date of demolition is unknown.

 The plaque over the door of the Walkergate chapel has two dates. (Photo No.5) 1797 is the date when the chapel was built and 1878 is the date when alterations to the chapel were completed

Photos taken June 2014

OS Map Ref:75:NT999531

This page was added by Elaine and Richard Pearce on 14/09/2014.
Comments about this page

The opening services took place on Thursday 18th February 1830 when the preacher was Brother Cousins and on Sunday 21st February 1830 when the preachers were Brothers Herod, Clough & Lister.

The chapel, which measured 39'(w) x 39'(l), had a gallery on 3 sides. Thechapel also connected with a 4 roomed house.

In the year after its opening, the chapel employed three preachers.

The opening is described by William Lister in the Primitive Methodist magazine of 1831 page 60.

By Christopher Hill
On 01/09/2017

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.