Lidlington; Bethel Primitive Methodist Chapel

Photo: Illustrative image for the 'Lidlington; Bethel Primitive Methodist Chapel' page
Photo:1863 Lidlington; Bethel Primitive Methodist Chapel

1863 Lidlington; Bethel Primitive Methodist Chapel

Keith Guyler 1984

Bedfordshire

By Tim Banks

The village of Lidlington lies on the north side of Greensand ridge. There is a station on the Bedford to Bletchley Railway and for many years, brickmaking was an important local industry.

The 1851 Religious Census return was made on Sunday 30 March. A return for Lidlington PM was made by James Ford, Minister. The return stated that the building had been erected in 1850 and had 66 Free Sittings and 43 Other. The General Congregation had been 80 in the afternoon and100 in the evening. 

This Chapel was registered for worship on 2 January 1861, by Samuel Turner of Aylesbury (Bucks), Primitive Methodist Minister and the cancelled on 18 January 1876. 

A new PM Chapel named Bethel was built in Church Road (now Street) in 1863. This Chapel was registered for worship on 4 May 1864 by William Birks of Leighton Buzzard, minister. 

The former Primitive and Wesleyan congregations in Lidlington merged in 1957. Worship continues in the former PM chapel today, witnessing to God's continuing love for the people of Lidlington

Sources and References

Bedfordshire Chapels and Meeting Houses: Official Registration 1672-1901 Volume 75 Bedfordshire Historical Record Society – Edited by Edwin Welch

The Ecclesiastical Census, Bedfordshire, March 1851 Volume 54 Bedfordshire Historical Record Society – Edited by DW Bushby

Lidlington – A Historical Guide through the Bedfordshire Village of Lidlington AD275-1997

This page was added by Tim Banks on 30/05/2014.
Comments about this page

Article about Lidlington Wesleyan Chapel now published

By Tim Banks
On 04/06/2014

A note in Leighton Buzzard Observer and Linslade Gazette 29 September 1863 reports that the opening of the new PM Chapel in Lidlington had taken place the previous Wednesday. 'The cost of the premises is £160, towards which £40 has been raised. The ground was purchased at a cost of £18 was given by Mr Palmer of London.'

By Tim Banks
On 04/05/2015

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.