Burnham Primitive Methodist Chapel Lincolnshire

Photo: Illustrative image for the 'Burnham Primitive Methodist Chapel Lincolnshire' page
Photo: Illustrative image for the 'Burnham Primitive Methodist Chapel Lincolnshire' page
Photo: Illustrative image for the 'Burnham Primitive Methodist Chapel Lincolnshire' page
Photo:1872 Burnham Primitive Methodist Chapel in Low Burnham, as it was in 1991

1872 Burnham Primitive Methodist Chapel in Low Burnham, as it was in 1991

Keith Guyler 1991

Photo:Chapel Anniversary in 1890's. Thomas Whitehead is on the extreme left.

Chapel Anniversary in 1890's. Thomas Whitehead is on the extreme left.

Supplied by David Leese

This small chapel was built in 1872 . It is now the village hall.

There was a Primitive Methodist Chapel in Burnham as early as 1836. It was pulled down and today a bungalow stands on the site.

The official opening of the present day chapel took place on March 2nd 1873. There was a small Wesleyan Chapel in the village but this closed when the two societies joined together. It was felt that the Primitive Chapel was architecturally superior. At the same time the word Primitive was erased from the plaque and replaced with the word Burnham.

The chapel closed in 1989. Today it is the village hall.

Photos taken July 2012

OS Map ref:112:SE779021

 

 

 

 

  

This page was added by Elaine and Richard Pearce on 04/04/2013.
Comments about this page

Out of the 1832 Epworth & Burnham Revival four cousins from this village offered for the P.M. ministry, John Ducker (1818-1842), Robert Ducker (1813- 1889), George Whitehead (1818-1877), and Thomas Whitehead (1823-1902). The latter became President of the P.M. Conference in 1887. Thomas Whitehead returned to lead anniversary services at the end of the nineteenth Century (see photo above). John Garner, one of 'the blue blood of Primitive Methodism' former President of Conference on six occasions superannuated to Burnham, where he died in 1856. The Wesleyan Chapel had closed in 1875. Though now owned by the village, the Epworth and Scunthorpe circuit holds harvest and Christmas services in the former chapel.

By Rev David Leese
On 04/01/2014

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.