Cabourn Primitive Methodist chapel

location of former Cabourn Primitive MEthodist chapel

Grimsby Road Cabourne LN7 6HU

By Christopher Hill

The Primitive Methodist magazine for November 1854 contains an account by Thomas Kendall of the opening of Cabourn Primitive Methodist chapel in the Market Rasen Circuit.

Cabourn was first missioned in 1851 and by 1854 there was a society of 20 members, and the house they had been meeting in had become too small.

Mr Tyas on their behalf asked the Earl of Yarborough for land to build a chapel on; he provided a site on a 99 year lease at one shilling per year "on condition the plan of the building would suit" (which it did!).  The architects were Maughan and Fowler of Louth and the builders T & J Benton of Grimsby whose quote was the cheapest. The solicitors were MOrris and Smith who charged no feed

Externally, the chapel measure 26.5' x 18.5' and the roof was made of stale. The overall cost was expected to be £177

Opening services were held on 17th and 24th September 1854 led by J Ratcliffe of Grimsby and J Hollingsworth of Kirton.  On Monday 25th, 150 people sat down to tea in R Taylor's barn.

Major donors were Mr R Taylor, Mr Barker and Mrs Quickfall.

The chapel is still shown on Ordnance Survey 1:2,500 maps of 1907, but by 1970 it is labelled as the parish hall.  On Google Street View there is no apparent sign of the building apart from some unevenness on the ground and possible wall outlines visible from above. The land is used as pasture.


Reference

Primitive Methodist magazine November 1854 pp. 682-3

 

This page was added by Christopher Hill on 30/11/2016.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.