Worthing; Chapel Road Primitive Methodist Chapel

Photo:Photo No.1 Chapel Road Worthing C1905

Photo No.1 Chapel Road Worthing C1905

PP/WSL/PC008860 West Sussex County Council Library Service

Photo:Photo No.2 Chapel Road and Methodist Chapel Worthing 1906

Photo No.2 Chapel Road and Methodist Chapel Worthing 1906

PP/WSL/POO1510 West Sussex County Council Library Service

Photo:Site of Chapel Road PM Chapel on corner of Chapel Road and Wanban Road.

Site of Chapel Road PM Chapel on corner of Chapel Road and Wanban Road.

A chapel was built on this site in 1893

In 1874 the Primitive Methodists were holding cottage meetings in this area of Worthing but it was not until 1880 that a temporary iron chapel was erected on the corner of Chapel Road and Wenban Road. In 1893 it was removed to Lyndhurst Road and a new chapel was built.(see photo No.2) The new chapel was built of red brick and was designed by R.S.Hyde.

This chapel closed in 1956 and was demolished in 1958. The foundation stone and other items were incorporated into the new Offington Park Church.

In 2014 a store selling beds is on this site.

Photos taken July 2014

OS Map Ref:198:TQ147031

Acknowledgements

West Sussex County Library Service

This page was added by Elaine and Richard Pearce on 05/11/2014.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.