Chester le Street Primitive Methodist chapel

By Christopher Hill

The laying of the foundation stone for Chester le Street Primitive Methodist chapel is reported by JA in the Primitive Methodist magazine of July 1860.

The ceremony took place on April 2nd 1860. The stone was laid by Thomas Gibson. Under the stone was an interesting collection of material, including the "Chester-le-street Liberal," the "Northern daily Express," a handbill of the services, a circuit plan, a document with the names of the trustees, and the coins of the realm.

Speakers included Revs Joseph Armstrong, Waite, R Graham, John Lightfoot, W. Dent and J. Waite, together with  Messrs. Gibson, Daglish, Branfoot, Hewison, Naisty, and Fairless. Mr M.Dodds (farmer, Murton Grange) took the chair for the after tea meeting.  200 stayed for tea.


Reference

Primitive Methodist magazine of July 1860 page 436

 

This page was added by Christopher Hill on 22/01/2018.