Church Broughton Primitive Methodist Chapel Derbyshire

Photo: Illustrative image for the 'Church Broughton Primitive Methodist Chapel Derbyshire' page
Photo: Illustrative image for the 'Church Broughton Primitive Methodist Chapel Derbyshire' page
Photo: Illustrative image for the 'Church Broughton Primitive Methodist Chapel Derbyshire' page
Photo: Illustrative image for the 'Church Broughton Primitive Methodist Chapel Derbyshire' page
Photo: Illustrative image for the 'Church Broughton Primitive Methodist Chapel Derbyshire' page
Photo:1828 Church Broughton Primitive Methodist Chapel as it was in 2001

1828 Church Broughton Primitive Methodist Chapel as it was in 2001

Keith Guyler 2001

This chapel was built in 1828, A Centenary School extension was added in 1928. The chapel is still open for worship in April 2013.

Photos taken April 2013

OS Map ref:118:SK206337

 

Note added 09/17 by CH

The Primitive Methodist magazine for 1829 contains an account by Thomas Butcher of the opening of Great Broughton Primitive Methodist chapel in the Burton-upon Trent circuit. Opening services were held on Sunday 2nd November 1828 and were conducted by Brothers J Woolley and Hugh Bourne. 

The chapel was described as "in a pleasant situation on rising ground" and was"well filled".

In 1859 it was "improved, repaired, cleaned and painted". The re-opening took place from July 31st 1859 and included a tea meeting for 100 (even though it rained). Speakers were Rev Hurd and Mr Barfoot. Joseph Salisbury described the occasion.

Source:

Primitive Methodist magazine for 1829 (page 55)

Primitive Methodist magazine for 1859 (page 630-631)

This page was added by Elaine and Richard Pearce on 12/05/2013.
Comments about this page

We've found a further entry about the chapel in the 1859 Primitive Methodist magazine when it was "improved, repaired, cleaned and painted".

By Christopher Hill
On 06/11/2017

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.