Cookley Primitive Methodist chapel

location of former Cookley Primitive Methodist chapel

Lionfields Rd Cookley DY10 3UG

By Christopher Hill

"Cookley, Kidderminster Circuit.—Cookley is about three miles from Kidderminster. We have had for many years several faithful standard-bearers in our Zion, who regularly wended their way a distance of about two miles to our chapel at Oldborough, in order to worship God with His people at that place. Nearly two years ago Brother H. Bruce, a local preacher at Cookley, opened his house for preaching, and raised a class. The blessing of God rested on his efforts, the house became crowded with worshippers, and the need of an enlarged and permanent place of worship was obvious to all. My predecessor, Mr. Porter, obtained land for a chapel, and about £20 towards the erection.

The chapel is built of brick, covered with slate, is 33 feet by 21 feet, and 14 feet from the floor to the ceiling. It is fenced with iron, palisades in the front, and there is sufficient land at the back for a school, if necessary. This chapel was opened for Divine worship on Sabbath, December 16th. The Rev. M. Nicholas, of Worcester, Rev. W. H. Hines, and the writer officiated on the occasion. The collections amounted to £3 11s. 7d. The total coat of the building, including land and conveyance, is £194 11s. 5d. Towards this sum we have raised £53 2s. 7d. ; this is less than the rule requires, but the trustees have engaged to raise the remainder before the end of the year. Included in the sum raised is a donation of £5 from J.P. Brown Westhead, Esq., M.P.for the city of York ; also £5 by Messrs. Knight and Co., Cookley Iron Works, and many smaller donations.

May the sanctuary now opened be a great blessing to the neighbourhood, and may it be the birth place of many souls.
W. GWILLIM."

The chapel is shown on Lionfields on the 1883-4 Ordnance Survey 1:2,500 map, but by 1902 it is no longer marked.  British History Online tells us it has been converted into a private house.


Reference

Primitive Methodist magazine April 1861 page 236

This page was added by Christopher Hill on 28/03/2018.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.