Cottingham Primitive Methodist chapel

Photo:former Cottingham Primitive Methodist chapel

former Cottingham Primitive Methodist chapel

Christopher Hill August 2017

Photo:rear of former Cottingham Primitive Methodist chapel

rear of former Cottingham Primitive Methodist chapel

Christopher Hill August 2017

Photo:plaque marking Cottingham Primitive Methodist chapel

plaque marking Cottingham Primitive Methodist chapel

Christopher Hill August 2017

location of the former Cottingham Primitive Methodist chapel

149 King St, Cottingham HU16 5QQ

By Christopher Hill

The 1851 Census of Religious Worship for Yorkshire records a Primitive Methodist chapel erected in 1828 which held 148 people. Thomas Clark of Thwaite, the Steward, recorded that the average afternoon and evening attendance was 100 people, although on Census day, March 3rd, there were 57 in the afternoon and 58 in the evening.  There was no Sunday School on that day.

The Bourne shop in King Street served as a Primitive Methodist chapel between 1861 and 1937 when the societies united in the former Wesleyan chapel in Hallgate, the current Cottingham Methodist church.  The frontage was amended in 1915. The former apex roof can be clearly seen above the parapet. 

This page was added by Christopher Hill on 12/08/2017.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.