Court Houses Primitive Methodist chapel

By Christopher Hill

Court Houses consisted of a few scattered houses about 3 miles west of Scotter. It was the location of one of the first camp meetings in Lincolnshire with hospitality provided in the house of T Harsley. A small society with week-day preaching services existed for many years but as congregations increeased a piece of land was bought from Mr J Harsley. A chapel costing £88/10/6.5d was built; they had raised almost a half at the time of opening. Mr J Harsley and G Everett transported the materials free of charge.

Court Houses Primitive Methodist chapel was opened 26th September 1858 when the preacher was Mrs W Lonsdale. Mr Sanderson preached the following week.

A Worsnip describes the opening in the 1859 Primitive Methodist magazine.


Reference

Primitive Methodist magazine 1859 p.42-43

 

This page was added by Christopher Hill on 17/05/2017.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.