Crawford (Village) Primitive Methodist Church

Photo: Illustrative image for the 'Crawford (Village) Primitive Methodist Church' page
Photo: Illustrative image for the 'Crawford (Village) Primitive Methodist Church' page
Photo: Illustrative image for the 'Crawford (Village) Primitive Methodist Church' page
Photo: Illustrative image for the 'Crawford (Village) Primitive Methodist Church' page
Photo: Illustrative image for the 'Crawford (Village) Primitive Methodist Church' page
Photo: Illustrative image for the 'Crawford (Village) Primitive Methodist Church' page
Photo:Is this the 1856 chapel?

Is this the 1856 chapel?

The first chapel was built in 1856

It is likely that the original chapel lies directly behind the facade that we can see in the photos. The rear part of the building is constructed of red and blue brick whereas the front is built of facing bricks hence the plaque 'Rebuilt 1909'.

It closed for worship about 12 years ago and in 2016 is a dwelling.

 

Photos taken February 2016

OS Map Ref:108:SD496027

 

This page was added by Elaine and Richard Pearce on 06/02/2016.
Comments about this page

The rear of the building is indeed from around 1850 when the village was developed as a mining village.  This is the original church hall.  The later addition was added in 1909 to expand as the congregation had grown.  Sadly it was out of use for some time before 2001 when it was converted to residential use.  The original outbuilding to the rear was briefly the village post office from around 1994 until the closure of the chapel.

By Simon B
On 18/04/2016

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.