Crewe (Mill Street) Hope Primitive Methodist Chapel Cheshire

Photo:Photo No.1

Photo No.1

Photo:Photo No.2

Photo No.2

Hope PM Chapel was built in 1865

Hope Primitive Methodist Chapel was built on the corner of Mill Street and Hope Street to replace a PM Chapel built in Wesley Street in 1863. 

In the Chapel's seventy-first year (1936) the Annual Tea and Anniversary Services took place in the October and November, and all the money collected went to the 'Church Renovation' which included renewing the electric lighting and wiring.

The Chapel closed in 1963 and after some years was sold to Crewe Corporation. The Society moved from Mill Street to the Chapel in Gainsborough Road.

In 2015 the chapel site is now a car park, but the Sunday School building is still standing and being used by a commercial enterprise (see photo 2).

Photo No.1 is taken from the programme celebrating the Seventy-First Anniversary of Hope Methodist Chapel, kindly donated to Englesea Brook Museum by Rev'd. Peter Bravey, Deacon at St. Mary's R.C. Church, Crewe.   

Photo No.2 taken July 2015

OS Map Ref:118:SJ707548

This page was added by Elaine and Richard Pearce on 11/07/2015.