Crosby Villa PM Chapel, Cumberland

Grid Ref NY092390

By GW Oxley

Photo:Crosby Villa PM Chapel, 26.08.2015

Crosby Villa PM Chapel, 26.08.2015

G W Oxley

The plans for Crosby Villa chapel, which were unsigned, were deposited with the local authority on 31 August 1885.

The exterior was probably of stone with contrasting facings. There was to be a plaque above the entrance which probably gave the name of the chapel and the  date of construction. It may well still exist under the render.

The chapel was entered  at the gable end through a central door which was flanked by two windows. Each of the side walls had three windows. All the openings were square headed. The chapel measured 27’ by 33’ and the rostrum was situated opposite the entrance.

At the rear of the building was a lean to structure with doors onto the chapel and to the outside which contained a vestry. A wc and a coal house were set against the boundary wall of the site.

The chapel had 200 sittings in pews in 1940 and there was one other room.

It was closed in November 1969. The building had dry rot and the remaining four members were transferring to Prospect.

Plans for conversion into two houses were deposited  by Joseph Lightfoot in 1971. It is now two private residences. 

Sources

Cumbria Archive Service, Carlisle, DFCM2/112; SRDC3/1/49, SRDC3/2/7830; Carlisle Library, 1A287, Methodist Property Statistics 1940; site visit 05.09.2015

This page was added by GW Oxley on 23/09/2015.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.