Distington, Sunny Brow/Common End PM Chapel, Cumberland

Grid ref NY004226

By GW Oxley

Sunny Brow chapel was built of stone in 1839 at a cost of £108. In 1851 there were 58 free and 52 free other sittings  but by 1863 there were 66 lettable and 50 free sittings. At the time of building it had 28 members which had fallen to 11 by 1863 when Sunday attendances were 40. In 1940 the Chapel had 60 sittings on forms and no other rooms. It had been closed by 1980 and is now in residential use.

Sources

Cumbria Archive Service, Whitehaven YDFCM2/382-387 Station reports, 1840- 1912

The National Archives HO129/171/1 /2 1851 census of religious worship

Carlisle Library, 1A287, Methodist Property Statistics 1940, 1980

Site visit 24.05.2016

Photo:Distington, Sunny Brow PM Chapel, general view,  24.5.2016

Distington, Sunny Brow PM Chapel, general view, 24.5.2016

G W Oxley

Photo:Distington, Sunny Brow PM Chapel, entrance and date plaque,  24.5.2016

Distington, Sunny Brow PM Chapel, entrance and date plaque, 24.5.2016

G W Oxley

Photo:Distington, Sunny Brow PM Chapel, date plaque,  24.5.2016

Distington, Sunny Brow PM Chapel, date plaque, 24.5.2016

G W Oxley

Photo:Distington, Sunny Brow PM Chapel, window,  24.5.2016

Distington, Sunny Brow PM Chapel, window, 24.5.2016

G W Oxley

This page was added by GW Oxley on 26/05/2016.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.