Doveridge Primitive Methodist chapel

Photo:Former Primitive Chapel.

Former Primitive Chapel.

Rev. David Leese


By David Leese

19, High Street, Doveridge, near Uttoxeter.

The Providence chapel was erected in 1841, and in 1851 reported an afternoon congregation of 20 in the morning, 30 afternoon, and an evening one of 46.

The village history states that it closed in the early twentieth century, and after having been the village reading room is now in private ownership. There is no remaining dedicatory stone from its time as a chapel, the stone above the door now read 'Reading Room.' It is in the rear garden, visible from the road, of 19 High Street, Doveridge.

NB Not to be confused with the former Wesleyan chapel on Chapel Green.

This page was added by David Leese on 04/08/2017.