Doward Primitive Methodist Chapel, Herefordshire

Photo:PM Chapel with Congregational Chapel below?

PM Chapel with Congregational Chapel below?

David Hill

Photo:Congregational Chapel with PM Chapel behind?

Congregational Chapel with PM Chapel behind?

David Hill

By Geoff Dickinson

Wikipedia describes The Doward as located in the far south of Herefordshire, just across the border from Wales.

The Statistical Return of Methodist Churches dated 1 July 1940 lists Doward in the Ross Section of the Wye Valley Mission in the Cardiff District.

The chapel seated 100 but was sold shortly after the statistical data was collected and before it was published.

Immediately adjacent to the chapel was located a Congregational Chapel. Both chapels are shown in David Hill’s pictures. Littlebury’s Directory and Gazetteer of Herefordshire, 1876-7, reports; “The Congregationalists have two chapels in this parish, with a graveyard (which can be enlarged) attached to each chapel; the Primitive Methodists also have a small meeting-house on the Doward.” This suggests that the lower chapel in the picture, with the graveyard is the Congregational Chapel and the upper one the Primitive Methodist Chapel.

This page was added by Geoff Dickinson on 21/12/2015.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.