Drighlington Primitive Methodist Chapel

Photo: Illustrative image for the 'Drighlington Primitive Methodist Chapel' page

Kate Askew, 1996

West Riding, Yorkshire

The chapel was built in 1853.

Tom Townsend was born in Drighlington in 1848, and his father Luke Townsend was one of the first Trustees of the chapel.

The chapel is thought to have closed by 1947. Used as a youth club in 1996.

Additional information  added Feb 2017 by CH

The Primitive Methodist magazine for November 1853 contains an account by R Davies of the opening of Drighlington Primitive Methodist chapel. He explains that a small chapel was built around 30 years previously on land obtained from the Lord of the manor, but unfortunately they received no title deed. In time the nominal trustees and the society disagreed and the case went to law; the small society was left with a debt of £45. The matter was not fully resolved until 1853 when the first chapel was sold and a new one built in a better location.

The new chapel was 12 yards square by 16' high. It was opened on September 11th 1853 when Rev J Day of Durham and J Reynard of Leeds preached. Later sermons came from Rev R Davies of Bradford and Rev G Sargent, Baptist minister of Gildersome.


Reference

Primitive Methodist magazine November 1853 p.686-687

 

This page was added by Jill Barber on 16/09/2014.
Comments about this page

The society at Drighlington got itself into a real mess because the legal niceties behind the first chapel  were not completed as they should.  Let that be a lesson! Further details are in the account in the Primitive Methodist magazine.

By Christopher Hill
On 28/02/2017

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.