Ellesmere Primitive Methodism Chapel

Photo:This photo shows the former PM chapel as a garage in the 1950s. Little has changed from the 1950s to 2018

This photo shows the former PM chapel as a garage in the 1950s. Little has changed from the 1950s to 2018

Photo by kind permission of Ellesmere Library and Shropshire Council

Photo:This photo shows the former PM chapel still as a garage in 2018

This photo shows the former PM chapel still as a garage in 2018

Photo taken January 2018 by E & R Pearce

Photo: Illustrative image for the 'Ellesmere Primitive Methodism Chapel' page

Photo taken January 2018 by E & R Pearce

Photo:Photo No.4. Ellesmere PM Chapel in Trimpley (Street)

Photo No.4. Ellesmere PM Chapel in Trimpley (Street)

Photo taken January 2018 by E & R Pearce

Photo: Illustrative image for the 'Ellesmere Primitive Methodism Chapel' page

Photo taken January 2018 by E & R Pearce

location of Mount Zion Primitive Methodist chapel

Scotland Street, Ellesmere, Shropshire SY12 0DG

Link provided by Geoff Dickinson

Information about this chapel can be viewed by following the link to Shropshire’s Nonconformist Chapels.

 

Current information about the chapel can be seen on the Shropshire and Marches Methodist Circuit website.

 

note added 09/2017 by CH

Ellesmere Mount Zion Primitive Methodist chapel in the Oswestry circuit was opened on July 12th 1840.  It measured 13 yds x 7yds x 16' high and cost £253 7s 3d. (see photo 1 & 2)

The chapel was replaced  in 1908 by a new chapel - unusually with a tower - in Trimpley Street. (see photo 3 & 4) The Mount Zion building in 2018 is Scott's Victoria Garage.

R Ward writes about the opening of Mount Zion in the Primitive Methodist magazine in the attached document.


Reference

Primitive Methodist magazine October 1841 pages 363 - 364

 

Downloads

Opening of Ellesmere chapel
Opening of Ellesmere chapel (87k)
Primitive Methodist magazine 1841 p 363-364 transcribed by David Tonks

This page was added by Geoff Dickinson on 13/12/2013.