Epworth Primitive Methodist Chapel Lincolnshire

Photo: Illustrative image for the 'Epworth Primitive Methodist Chapel Lincolnshire' page
Photo: Illustrative image for the 'Epworth Primitive Methodist Chapel Lincolnshire' page
Photo: Illustrative image for the 'Epworth Primitive Methodist Chapel Lincolnshire' page
Photo: Illustrative image for the 'Epworth Primitive Methodist Chapel Lincolnshire' page
Photo:1883 Epworth Thurlow Primitive Methodist Chapel  as it was in 1991

1883 Epworth Thurlow Primitive Methodist Chapel as it was in 1991

Keith Guyler 1991

The chapel was built in 1883 and was closed in about 1965. The Sunday School was added in 1909

Epworth Chapel is now a 'One Stop' food shop. The Sunday School is now a tanning salon called Sun Spot and dress shop called Posh Frock. Both buildings have been sadly painted white.

Photos taken July 2012

OS Map ref:112: SE 776043 

This page was added by Elaine and Richard Pearce on 15/07/2012.
Comments about this page

The first Primitive Chapel on this site was opened in May 1821 as one of the first Primitive chapels in Lincolnshire following the P.M missionaries entering Gainsborough in December 1818. W.G.Belham preached at the opening of the chapel. The second 1883 chapel was built alongside, then the first demolished to allow a schoolroom to be built in its place. John Garner, former president of the Conference on six occasions was interred within the precincts of the first chapel in 1856. The chapel was immediately adjacent to the Thurlow recreation field which was a site for open air 'camp' meetings.

By Rev. David Leese
On 04/01/2014

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.