Flimby Westfield PM Chapel, Cumberland

Grid Ref NY 022338

By GW Oxley

The land (2342 square yards) for this chapel was purchased from the Lonsdale estate in 1914. A development scheme was prepared but abandoned in 1916. The scheme was revived in the mid 1920s . A design for a building containing a chapel seating 200, a schoolroom, classrooms and a kitchen was prepared by H Oldfield as successor to WG Scott who had prepared the  designs for the 1914 scheme. The building was completed in 1929 at a total cost of £2273.18.4.

The contractors were:

  • E Barker, builder, £692.0.2;
  • W Dockeray, joiner, £577.14.3;
  • B Lythgoe, slater, £257.5.8;
  • J Lawson & Son, plasterers, £191.16.0;
  • CW Birch of Keswick, plumber, £142.2.2;
  • Lintwhite & Palmer of Maryport, painters & decorators, £70.4.7;
  • F Walker, heating, £118.4.7;
  • Limmer & Trinidad Co, for asphalt, £6.6.11;
  • W Sanderson for steelwork, £104.10.6;
  • H Oldfield, architect, £108.5.6. 

Fifteen dressed foundation memorial stones were supplied by Tom McKay & Sons, quarry owners. In 1940  there was a chapel seating 240 on forms, a schoolroom, and one other room. By 1980 there were 170 sittings in the chapel and six other rooms. Extensive alterations to the building were carried out in 1971.

The building was in use as a Methodist place of worship in January 2015 (Cumbria Archive Service, Carlisle DFCM2/168, 236; Carlisle Library, 1A287, Methodist Property Statistics 1940, 1980, 1991)

Photo:Flimby PM Chapel, east elevation , 20.09.2014

Flimby PM Chapel, east elevation , 20.09.2014

GW Oxley

Photo:Flimby PM Chapel, notice board , 20.09.2014

Flimby PM Chapel, notice board , 20.09.2014

GW Oxley

Photo:Flimby, Westfield PM Chapel, side view , 20.09.2014

Flimby, Westfield PM Chapel, side view , 20.09.2014

GW Oxley

This page was added by GW Oxley on 16/02/2015.