Great Gonerby Primitive Methodist chapel

Photo:Great Gonerby Primitive Methodist chapel

Great Gonerby Primitive Methodist chapel

Keith Guyler 1995

former Great Gonerby Primitive Methodist chapel

Green Street, Great Gonerby, GRANTHAM, NG31 8LD

By Christopher Hill

The first Primitive Methodist chapel was opened in a rented barn in 1836. It was replaced in 1858 by a chapel on Green Street, with seats for 300 and at a cost of £350. It was rebuilt on the same site in 1873, this time costing over £500. The former Sunday School is directly opposite on the other side of Green Street.

Gonerby became a Methodist stronghold resulting in a Gonerby group introducing Methodism to Grantham and Lincoln.

W Carthy describes the background in the Primitive Methodist magazine of 1858. Despite the barn being improved in 1847 by the addition of a boarded floor, the society was only kept going "by the piety and perseverance of a honoured female, the wife of the clerk of the parish church and the village schoolmaster...Who ever might be absent, she although the mother of a numerous family was present."

In 1856 there was a revival. On October 14th 1857 the foundation stone of a new chapel was laid by John Bradley, mayor of Nottingham. At the tea and public meetings in the Wesleyan chapel speakers included Thomas Stevenson of Redmile, and Messrs W Carthy, JG Smith, W Barnsdale, Thomas Treadgold and David Dixon (Wesleyan).

The opening took place on Feb 18th 1858. Speakers at opening services and tea meetings for 160 and 120  included Rev JP Wright (Methodist New Connexion, Nottingham), John Bradley (Nottingham), Messrs W Carthy, B Slash (Wesleyan), R Robinson (Sheffield), Rev B Slack and Rev John Woodcock (Lincoln).

The chapel measured 36' x 27', had a schoolroom at one end separated by sliding doors, boarded floors, iron pallisades and an iron gate. It cost around £230. Named donors included John Bradley, A Wilson M.P.Rt Hon Sir John Trollope Bart MP. E Welby, and Thomas Emminson.


Reference

Primitive Methodist magazine June 1858 pp.364-365

This page was added by Christopher Hill on 28/01/2015.
Comments about this page

I've added the story of the dedication of one woman who kept the chapel going during thin years; who was she? There are good clues to enable her name to be tracked down.

By Christopher Hill
On 26/04/2017

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.