Gristhorpe Primitive Methodist chapel

location of former Gristhorpe Primitive Methodist chapel

The Old Chapel, Back Ln, Gristhorpe, Filey YO14 9PL

By Christopher Hill

Gristhorpe Primitive Methodist chapel opened on 24th March 1861 and the celebrations are described by Thomas Greenbury in the Primitive Methodist magazine, one of the preachers in the opening services, along with  Rev. T. Bennett,of Bridlington and Rev G West.

Rev. H. Campbell found a suitable site for the new chapel and the foundation stone was laid by Mr.Richard Warrener, one of the oldest members of the society on November 23rd 1960. Construction was delayed by bad winter weather.

The new chapel measured 30' x 17' and cost £155. At the opening 69 of the seats were already let.

Although the chapel is still marked on the Ordnance Survey 1:2,500 map in 1928, bu 1970 it is labelled "works". By 1991 it is labelled "The Old chapel" - still its Street View use in 2009


Reference

Primitive Methodist magazine August 1861 pages 499-500

 

This page was added by Christopher Hill on 10/04/2018.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.