Harewoodsend (Harewood End) Primitive Methodist chapel

approximate location of Harewoodsend Primitive Methodist chapel

Harewood End HR2 8JS

By Christopher Hill

Harewoodsend is a village about 9 miles from Hereford. For several years before Harewoodsend Primitive Methodist chapel was opened on Sunday April 11th 1858 there had been services and a well established society in the village.

The new chapel was 29' x 19', built of stone with a blue slate roof, boarded floor, forms and pulpit. It cost £130 of which they had raised £50. Principal donors included Benjamin Watkins of Bromley, Mr Dew and Mr Fisher.

Preachers at the services and tea-meeting for 180 included Thomas Hobson, who described the opening in the Primitive Methodist magazine of 1858, Rev J Richards and J Shepherd. At the afternoon service more than 100 people could not get in so Rev Richards preached in the open air.

The chapel is marked on the 1888 Ordnance Survey 1:2,500 map but by 1904 it is labelled "Church room."  That disappears between 1964 and 1974.


Primitive Methodist magazine July 1858 p.434


This page was added by Christopher Hill on 27/04/2017.