Haxey Memorial Primitive Methodist Chapel, Lincolnshire

Photo:Haxey Memorial Chapel

Haxey Memorial Chapel

Rev David Leese

Photo:The Gilding Memorial Window.

The Gilding Memorial Window.

Rev David Leese

Photo:1909 Haxey Memorial Primitive Methodist Chapel as it was in 1991

1909 Haxey Memorial Primitive Methodist Chapel as it was in 1991

Keith Guyler 1991

By David Leese

Haxey is three miles south of Epworth, and typically for the Isle of Axholme the first Primitive chapel was erected in 1825, following on from the missioning of the villages by the first P.M preachers from  Nottingham. It was on High Street with three Methodist chapels (Wesleyan, Methodist New Connexion, and Primitive) all within a few hundred yards of one another. 

It was replaced by the Haxey Memorial Primitive Methodist Chapel in 1909, situated across the road from the original site. The impetus to rebuild came from Henry Gilding (1847-1928) a former scholar and 'boy made good' through the drapery trade. The Memorial window on the north wall of the chapel was dedicated to the "sweet and fragrant memory of Sarah Gilding, a saintly wife and mother." Mrs Gilding had died during the construction of the building.

This is now the only one of the three Methodist chapels in the village still in use. It has modern ancillary rooms and hall to the rear, and the chapel itself provides a modern worship facility.

This page was added by David Leese on 04/01/2014.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.