Hemingbrough Primitive Methodist chapel

location of former Hemingbrough Primitive Methodist chapel

Main Street Hemingbrough YO8 6QU

By Christopher Hill

The 1858 Primitive Methodist magazine contains an account by John Burroughs of the opening of Hemingbrough Primitive Methodist chapel in the Howden and Selby branch. 

The new chapel measured 28' 8" long by 26' 3" wide and 15' high from floor to ceiling. It seated 158 people and cost £180 of which over a third had been raised.

The opening took place from November 6th 1857. Preachers included Rev T Penrose, John North (Wesleyan, of Leeds), Rev G West of Gainsborough and Rev J Morton. Donors and collectors listed include Edward and Mrs Shepherd, Mrs Allen, Mr G Dodsworth, and Messrs Lee and Penrose.

The chapel's registration was cancelled in 1937 and it was used as a storehouse in 1973. It is not clear which building it was (if any) on Google Street View in February 2009


Reference

Primitive Methodist magazine February 1858 p.114

 

This page was added by Christopher Hill on 18/04/2017.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.