Heworth Colliery PM Chapel, Co. Durham

By Richard Jennings

The Primitive Methodist Society at Heworth Colliery began to meet in 1867 in the homes of members. It was not until January 1878 that the Quarterly Meeting gave permission for the Society to commence building a chapel which was opened at the end of the year at the end of Chapel Square, adjacent to the pit head.

This building remained in use until the entire village was swept away in the 1950s.  The Society moved to a new church, Leam Lane Methodist Church, from where they still operate.

Photo:Heworth Colliery PM Chapel c1955

Heworth Colliery PM Chapel c1955

Bede Circuit Archive Collections

Photo:Interior, Heworth Colliery PM Chapel c1930

Interior, Heworth Colliery PM Chapel c1930

Bede Circuit Archive Collections

Photo:Soup Kitchen operated by the Heworth Colliery PM Chapel (pictured outside the chapel) 1926

Soup Kitchen operated by the Heworth Colliery PM Chapel (pictured outside the chapel) 1926

Bede Circuit Archive Collections

This page was added by Richard Jennings on 01/02/2015.