Leicester Hinckley Road Primitive Methodist Church

Photo: Illustrative image for the 'Leicester Hinckley Road Primitive Methodist Church' page
Photo: Illustrative image for the 'Leicester Hinckley Road Primitive Methodist Church' page
Photo:Leicester; Hinkley Road Primitive Methodist Church.  This was one of the chapels used during the 1907 Primitive Methodist Conference, held in Leicester

Leicester; Hinkley Road Primitive Methodist Church. This was one of the chapels used during the 1907 Primitive Methodist Conference, held in Leicester

Primitive Methodist Conference Handbook 1907

Photo:side view of Leicester Hinckley Road Primitive Methodist chapel

side view of Leicester Hinckley Road Primitive Methodist chapel

Christopher Hill February 2016

Photo:Leicester Hinckley Road Primitive Methodist chapel

Leicester Hinckley Road Primitive Methodist chapel

Handbook of the Primitive Methodist Conference 1927; Englesea Brook Museum

location of Leicester Hinckley Road Primitive Methodist church

junction of Hinkley Road and Fosse Road South, Leicester LE3 0QD

By Jane Richardson

Hinckley Road Primitive Methodist Church, Fosse Road South, Leicester started life in the schoolroom in 1898. The church opened at the side of the schoolroom the following year.

After the division of the Leicester circuit, Hinckley Road PM church became the head of the Leicester Second circuit. The Annual Conference was held there in 1927.

Unfortunately there is nothing to identify that this impressive building was a former Primitive Methodist church, one which played an important part in the Society' activity in Leicester and the surrounding area.

In 1966, it amalgamated with King Richards Road Methodist Church, and since 1969 has served as a Catholic church to the Ukrainian community.

The text of the 50th anniversary literature reads:

1899 – 1949

Our church is just fifty years old. What a story these fifty years could tell of God working in and through this church for the accomplishment of His purposes, and the salvation of his people! What these fifty years could reveal of devotion and sacrifice on the part of God’s people in our Church!

It was during the year 1818 that the first Primitive Methodist service was held in Leicester. This service, that was held at the Old Cross, Belgrave Gate, was arranged by Mr George Handford, a Sileby local preacher, who afterwards became the first President of Conference. The preacher at this service was Mr John Benton.

Our early ancestors in Leicester worshipped first in George Street Chapel, and later in what was called The Friars Chapel, a chapel which was purchased from the Independent Methodists. Later in 1841, York Street Chapel was built and in 1873 this society united with Alexander Street Society to build St. Nicolas Street Chapel. For twenty-five years this chapel was the spiritual home of our Methodist forefathers in this part of Leicester.

Then, in 1898, the site on which our present church stands was purchased, and our church was built. What foresight actuated our fathers in the purchasing of this site, for it is indeed a strategic point. The Rev. Arthur T. Guttery preached the first sermon in our church. One well fitted to remember, says “ it was a powerful discourse on the text, ‘A glorious church, not having spot, or wrinkle, or any such thing’ “.

Truly, ours is a beautiful church. Its semi-circular pews, its two transepts, stained glass windows, good acoustic properties, a good organ all combine to make it a very fine church.

Downloads

Inscribed tablets
Inscribed tablets (431k)
Inscribed tablets at Leicester Hinckley Road Primi

1902_Hinckley_Road_Leicester.pdf
1902_Hinckley_Road_Leicester.pdf (57k)

This page was added by Jane Richardson on 31/05/2014.
Comments about this page

This page was modified on 10 May 2017 to add a transcription of a report about this chapel, published in the Primitive Methodist Magazine, 1902.

By Geoff Dickinson
On 10/05/2017

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.