Horsehay PM Chapel, Shropshire

Link provided by Geoff Dickinson

Information about this chapel can be viewed by following the link to Shropshire’s Nonconformist Chapels.

Current information about the chapel can be seen on the church website.

(added by CH) The Primitive Methodist magazine for November 1857 pp.685-686 contains an account by Joseph Langham of the laying of the foundation stone for Horsehay Primitive Methodist chapel in the Dawley Circuit in 1857.

Horsehay is described as a rapidly growing place "meagrely supplied with places of worship", about a mile from Dawley "at which there is an extensive iron forge etc. belonging to the Coalbrookdale Company in which there are employed many men and boys."  Missioned by folk from the Wrockwardine circuit, a society was established at Horsehay which for a number of years met in various cottages.  In due course a piece of land was obtained from the Coalbrookdale company on a 999 year lease at £1 a year and the contract for building won by the Price brothers, "two young men of good character and enterprising spirit."

A tea meeting was held which raised £40 and on Monday October 28 1857 the foundation stone was laid. Mr Tillotson of Wrockwardine Wood preached and the stone was laid by John Guy of Madeley using "a small but elegant electro-plated trowel."


Reference

Primitive Methodist magazine November 1857 pp.685-686 

 

This page was added by Geoff Dickinson on 16/12/2013.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.