Hough Primitive Methodist chapel

location of former Primitive Methodist chapel at Hough

Hobbs Lane, Hough CW2 5GZ

By Christopher Hill

Hough Primitive Methodist chapel opening is described in the Primitive Methodist magazine. It was in the Sandbach circuit.

"At this place we have been much inconvenienced for want of a chapel, but through the good providence of God, and the united efforts of our society and friends, we have succeeded in erecting one, 27 feet by 24 feet. Opening sermons were preached August 5th, 1860, by Mr. R. Mayer, of Newcastle, and on August 19th by Mr. J. Broad, of Congleton, at which services the sum of £22. 3s. 8¾d. was obtained. It is expected that about one-half of the cost will be realized. In addition, to free seats, there are forty-nine sittings, which, are all let, and more are wanted."

The chapel is used in 2018 as the Resource centre for the Englesea Brook Museum.


Reference

Primitive Methodist magazine November 1860 page 689

 

This page was added by Christopher Hill on 10/02/2018.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.