Hutton Primitive Methodist Chapel East Yorkshire

Photo:Photo taken 2009

Photo taken 2009

Photo:Photo taken 2009

Photo taken 2009

Photo:Photo taken 2009

Photo taken 2009

Photo:Photo taken 2013

Photo taken 2013

Photo:Photo taken 2013

Photo taken 2013

Photo:Photo taken 2013

Photo taken 2013

Photo:1860 Hutton Jubilee Primitive Methodist Chapel as it was in 1999

1860 Hutton Jubilee Primitive Methodist Chapel as it was in 1999

Keith Guyler 1999

This tiny chapel was built and opened in 1860 and closed in 2010

In 1860 the chapel which cost £144 to build replaced "a tumble-down barn like place". The then Sheriff of Hull, Mr W. Hodge laid the foundation stone and gave £20 towards the chapel costs.

The first three photos were taken in 2009 a year before closure.

In 2013 the  chapel was in the final stages of being tastefully converted into a two bedroom dwelling.

Photos taken in 2009 and 2013

OS Map ref:107:TA025535

 

note added CH Feb 2018

The 1860 opening was reported in the Primitive Methodist Magazine by William Garner. Services took place on 1st July 1860. Speakers were Mrs. Lonsdale, of Hornsea and Miss Wilson, of Hull.

The new chapel cost £130 and the society had raised £80 by the time of opening; it seated 100. Opening celebrations took place in a tent as well as the chapel - there were too many people for the chapel to hold. This was partly because it was a very nice day.

Mr Hodge, the Sheriff of Hull, was going to open the chapel but, when he was unable to come, sent a handsome donation instead.


Reference

Primitive Methodist magazine September 1860 page 552-553

 

This page was added by Elaine and Richard Pearce on 21/05/2013.
Comments about this page

There's a nice detail in the Primitive Methodist magazine account of the opening of this chapel.  Mr Hodge, the Sheriff of Hull, was going to open the chapel but, when he was unable to come, sent a handsome donation instead, which was just as welcome!

By Christopher Hill
On 05/02/2018

East Riding of Yorkshire Archives, Beverley:

Ref. MRD/20/1: Hutton Primitive Methodist Chapel, built in 1860. Trustees Meetings Minutes Book, 1901-1932, 1933-1939. Including Accounts 1894-1932, 1933-1962.

There are Documents for Driffield Primitive Methodist Circuit, to include Hutton PM Chapel. Ref. zMRD. (Usually filed with Methodist or Wesleyan Methodist Circuit Records).

The location of PM Preacher's Plans (Preaching Plans) would give a good historical background.

By Raymond E.O.Ella
On 07/03/2018

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.