Idle Stop Primitive Methodist Chapel (Lincolnshire)

By David Leese

Idle stop is a locality within the parish of Haxey North Lincolnshire. It is the place where the river Idle was stopped as part of the drainage improvements. It is though only just in Lincolnshire, being on the Lincolnshire/Nottinghamshire border. It is a locality because there is now no existing settlement centre. However there was a Primitive Methodist Chapel in this settlement when it existed, with baptismal records, but though in Lincolnshire, and near the Westwoodside Primitive Methodist chapel,  it seems not to have a part of the Lincolnshire Epworth circuit, (which did include another neighbouring chapel, the Nottinghamshire Misson Springs P.M. chapel).

There are irregular local newspaper reports in the local paper the 'Epworth Bells' featuring the chapel. In June 1883 it reported how they celebrated a Sunday School festival, and in 1890 when there was a report of a Chapel Anniversary, favoured with a large congregation and concluding with tea in Councillor Dunston's barn. 

Further information is sought.

This page was added by David Leese on 06/02/2017.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.