Keelby Primitive Methodist chapel

Location of former Keelby Primitive Methodist chapel

Riby Road, Keelby

By Christopher Hill

In the Primitive Methodist magazine of March 1851, William Lonsdale gives an account of the opening of Keelby Primitive Methodist chapel, although without mentioning an actual date.

The first chapel in the village dates from 1836 but was replaced  by the new one which was built by Mr Tyas, timber merchant of Grimsby..  It had a gallery which seated 146 with a further 120 downstairs. The Vestry held 100. At opening, the debt was £255, borrowed at 4%.  It was regarded as "The best country chapel they had ever seen" and on the basis of their improved accommodation, they planned to start a Sunday School.


Reference

Primitive Methodist magazine of March 1851 pp 175-176

 

This page was added by Christopher Hill on 22/08/2016.
Comments about this page

Lincolnshire Archives, Lincoln:

Ref. Acc 2010/01800: Meth/C/Keelby. 

Temporary reference of documents to also include Primitive Methodist Chapel, Riby Rd., Keelby: Trustees Account Book 1881-1932, 1933-1956. Collection Journals 1942-1960. Class Tickets (Chapman) 1911 to 1920.

By Raymond E.O.Ella
On 28/05/2018

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.