Lelant Primitive Methodist chapel

location of former Lelant Primitive Methodist chapel

Fore St, Saint Ives TR26 3JR

By Christopher Hill

Lelant Primitive Methodists' first  chapel was acquired from the Wesleyan Methodists who were moving to grander premises, opening on 14th December 1834. The 1851 religious census reported that there was no service in the morning, afternoon attendance of twenty and evening attendance of one hundred and forty, with no Sunday scholars at any service.

A new Lelant Primitive Methodist chapel in the St Ives circuit was opened on 15th December 1859. The chapel which measured 48' x 25' cost £210 of which they had raised £100 by the opening. Donors included Hall and Sons, Mrs Harris, Mrs Beckerlegge and Mrs R Hampton.

The foundation stone was laid six months earlier on May 31st 1859 by Capt Peter Bryant (St Ives). Speakers at the stone laying ceremony and the tea in the Wesleyan chapel that followed included Rev W Vercoe, J Beckylegge and J Whitford.

Preachers at the opening events included Rev Vercoe (Wesleyan), Rev J Best  (Redruth) and Rev E Watson. 200 people attended a tea meeting where speakers included R Hampton, Revs.E. Powell and A. F. Beckerlegge, Messrs. W. H. Penhaligon, C.Kessell, T. Pascoe, and J. Eddy.

Almond Heckings and co were the architects and builders.

In 1888 the Primitive Methodist chapel had six members. It closed in 1909 and became the village hall.


References

Lelant info website: http://lelant.info/methodism.htm accessed January 8th 2017

Primitive Methodist magazine August 1859 pages 502-503

Primitive Methodist magazine March 1860 page 172

 

This page was added by Christopher Hill on 09/01/2018.