Liverpool Croston Street (Boundary Street) Primitive Methodist chapel

By Christopher Hill

The laying of the foundation stone of Liverpool Croston Street Primitive Methodist chapel is described in the Primitive Methodist magazine of October 1860.

Although it rained on the day - 31/05/1860 - the ceremony was well attended. Messrs. Cobb, Spruce, and Simpson promised all the stones required to build the new chapel, which would seat 600. Messrs Glover and Roberts were the contractors.

J Garner laid the stone and there were contributions by Rev J Macpherson (Birkenhead), J Maddrell, Howcroft, Tune and Travis, who contributed the article to the magazine.

The chapel was later known as Boundary Street East. Records in the Liverpool Record Office tell us that the Croston Street chapel, known as Pentecost, was opened in 1860 to serve the north end of the town, largely on the initiative of the Rev. James Farmer. It absorbed the remnants of the Maguire Street congregation and was completely rebuilt in 1888. In the Twentieth century it entered a period of decline, but had a new lease of life when it joined the Liverpool Mission Circuit following Methodist Union. It was badly damaged in the 1941 blitz and thereafter only the church hall was usable. This finally became unsafe and was closed in 1952.


Reference

Primitive Methodist magazine October 1860 pages 620-621

National Archive website accessed February 2018 at:   http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/816e4eef-ce57-480d-acea-b2ecdf22c490

 

This page was added by Christopher Hill on 07/02/2018.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.