Maidenhead Primitive Methodist chapel

By Christopher Hill

The opening of Maidenhead Primitive Methodist chapel is described in an article by Dennis Kendall in the Primitive Methodist magazine.

"Maidenhead is a town of very respectable appearance, in the county of Berks. For some years the energies of our people have been crippled for want of a commodious place in which to worship. This barrier, however, is now re moved ; we having purchased for £300 the chapel recently occupied by the Wesleyans, and which was opened for Divine worship, October 30th, 1859, by the Rev. W. Harland, Connexional Editor. London, who preached morning and evening, and Mr. R. Walker, Wesleyan, in the afternoon. We trust the impressions which were made will not be speedily effaced.

On Monday, October the 31st, it had a tea meeting in the Town Hall when about ninety persons surrounded the tables : after which a public meeting 'was held, Mr. R. Walker presided, and the meeting was sustained by Messrs. W. Good man, W. Soames, W. Hewitt, W. Woodbridge, T. Laird, W. Harland, and J. MacFarland, M.A. A good influence pervaded the meeting ; we retired from the place saying, ' Truly it was good to be there.' "

Was this chapel in Queen Street, located on the east side, just north of the junction with Broadway?


Reference

Primitive Methodist magazine January 1860 pages 46-47

 

This page was added by Christopher Hill on 23/12/2017.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.