Messingham High Street Primitive Methodist chapel

Photo:Messingham High Street Primitive Methodist chapel

Messingham High Street Primitive Methodist chapel

Keith Guyler 1997

location of 1846 Messingham Primitive Methodist chapel

High Street Messingham DN17 3RS

By Christopher Hill

Messingham High Street Primitive Methodist chapel dates from 1822. The chapel in the photograph was opened in 1846 and a Sunday school was added in 1871. It served until 1951.

After closure it was sold in 1953 and was used as a garage. By the time of Keith Guyler's photograph it was unused. 

By the time of Google Street View in 2009 it had been replaced by a newly built Co-op shop.

This page was added by Christopher Hill on 21/09/2015.
Comments about this page

Lincolnshire Archives, Lincoln:

Ref. Meth/C/Messingham, High St./H/4: Sunday School Account Book, 1907-1932, etc., also Sunday School Teachers Minutes 1907, 1909-1911, 1924, 1926, etc.

Ref. MLL1378: Photograph year 1906. Crowd assembled outside Messingham Primitive Methodist Chapel for stone laying ceremony, new Sunday School. Women and girls in tall hats, some men in bowler hats.

By Raymond E.O.Ella
On 16/03/2018

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.