New Holland Primitive Methodist Chapel, Lincs

GW Oxley

Photo:PM Chapel, New Holland, 1980

PM Chapel, New Holland, 1980

GW Oxley, Ref 020880

Photo:1877 New Holland Bethel Primitive Methodist Chapel as it was in 1996

1877 New Holland Bethel Primitive Methodist Chapel as it was in 1996

Keith Guyler 1996

(CH 05/2017) There is an account by Robert Langham in the 1859 Primitive Methodist magazine of the opening of New Holland Primitive Methodist chapel in the Barton circuit.

The land was given by Robert Bristow of Barrow on Humber and the foundation stone laid on July 8th 1858. Preachers at the ceremony and public tea in Mr Good's tile shed were George Austin of London, R Langham, J Calvin, J Stephenson and R Barron.

The chapel opened from September 26 1858. Speakers at the services and public tea in Mr Chamberlin's barn included J Dodsworth of Malton and T Ratcliffe of Winterton, 

The 1858 chapel seated 130 and cost £136 of which they had raised £52.

The chapel in the photographs is in Barrow Road and carries the date 1877. It closed in 2006 and in 2010 was for sale.


Reference

Primitive Methodist magazine February 1859 pp.110-111

 

This page was added by Pamela Atkins on 28/06/2013.
Comments about this page

This is the Primitive Methodist Chapel in the village of New Holland, North Lincolnshire. Not to be confused with the area in Lincolnshire known as South Holland. 

By C Reilly
On 20/10/2014

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.