New York Belle Vue Primitive Methodist chapel

location of former New York Belle Vue Primitive Methodist chapel

Pately Bridge Road, Low Laithe HG3 4BU

By Christopher Hill

The opening of New York Belle Vue Primitive Methodist chapel in the Pateley Bridge circuit is described by William Jackson in the Primitive Methodist magazine. The village was first missioned in 1839 and a chapel with a Sunday school first built in 1844. By 1859 there were 200 scholars and 40 teachers. By 1859 the chapel was clearly not big enough so Richard Pullen gave £50 towards enlargement.  On the basis of the enthusiasm this triggered he and his wife then offered to finance the whole build. The new chapel measured 50'6" x 34', 17' high was stone built, covered with slate, cost £500 and seated 436. 

Opening services for a new chapel were held from 21/08/1859.  Hundreds attended the opening encouraged by the good weather. Opening speakers were Rev R Smith, William Jackson and Rev Watkinson who preached in open air for those who could not get in.

On the day they collected £16 which they decided to use for a new organ. The old chapel was to be used for school-room, lectures and week night meetings.

By the 1974 Ordnance Survey map, the building is not labelled as a chapel any more. On Street View in 2011 it is in residential use - The Old Chapel.


Reference

Primitive Methodist magazine November 1859 page 684-685

 

This page was added by Christopher Hill on 09/11/2017.
Comments about this page

A year after the chapel opened, it was briefly closed to carry out improvements and, most importantly, the installation of an organ. Miss Ellen Wood of Smelthouse was the player at the opening.

The account is included here.

By Christopher Hill
On 07/02/2018

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.