Northallerton Primitive Methodist chapel

location of 1834 Northallerton Primitive Methodist chapel

Alverton Lane, Northallerton

By Christopher Hill

The Primitive Methodist society in Northallerton originally met in a room that became overcrowded.  As a result, they purchased a building which had been used as a theatre since 1800 and converted it into a chapel with two houses.

Rev. E Hall liked the idea. "Not only was the theatre at Northallerton closed, it was transformed from a synagogue of Satan to a house of God. The scene of unblushing immoralities and the school of vice became a theatre of God's noblest wonders in the salvation of men, and a school of highest morality. Satan has many a time been defeated, but seldom so completely as he was here — even his house taken from him" 

The opening of Northallerton Primitive Methodist chapel is described in the 1835 Primitive Methodist magazine. Opening services took place on 08/06/1834 and 09/06/1834 and the preachers were William Towler and John Parrott.

The ex-theatre served until 1889. The building still stands on Alverton Lane (StreetView July 2016) at the end of the yard behind the Tickle Toby pub, opposite the west end of Zetland Street. 

The chapel was replaced by a new Chapel in 1889 which became known as South End Chapel after Union in 1932.  In 1964 this was replaced by another newly built church at Romanby.

The first chapel is now a Grade II Listed Building; it's current use is not clear.

There are links to pictures of the chapel and its successors on the "The churches of Britain and Ireland website; click here.

location: OS Grid: SE368938


Reference

Primitive Methodist magazine 1835 page 312

Hall Rev. E., 1874 "The Earnest Preacher", Chapter 4 accessed online October 13 2017 at http://afinitas.org/Spoor/EarnestPreacher/chapter4.html

 

This page was added by Christopher Hill on 13/10/2017.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.