Orleton Common Primitive Methodist Chapel

Photo:Orleton Common Primitive Methodist Chapel, looking from Waterloo, 2013.

Orleton Common Primitive Methodist Chapel, looking from Waterloo, 2013.

R Beck

Photo:Orleton Common Primitive Methodist Chapel 2013

Orleton Common Primitive Methodist Chapel 2013

R Beck

Photo:Orleton Common Wall Plaque

Orleton Common Wall Plaque

R Beck

Photo:Chapel in 1991

Chapel in 1991

David Hill

Photo:1848 Orleton Common Primitive Methodist Chapel as it was in 1993. It was extended in 1896.

1848 Orleton Common Primitive Methodist Chapel as it was in 1993. It was extended in 1896.

Keith Guyler 1993

Location of Orleton Common PM on Waterloo

Waterloo, Orleton Common, Orleton Civil Parish, Herefordshire

By Richard Beck

Location GR – SO 47350 68350

 

In 2013 the building is being used as a general store building. It only has two windows on the front elevation, to the common Herefordshire configuration. The overall condition is poor but dry inside. Its closure date has not yet been found.

 

Wall plaque date is 1848, MDCCCXLVIII. Roman numerals are rare in Herefordshire.

 

A Primitive Methodist Chapel on Orleton Common, which is shown on the 1888 1st Edition OS map, but not on the most recent one.  (Herefordshire Through Time)

 

Kelly’s Directory 1895 Hfds & Salop, P 146. ORLETON. A Primitive Methodist chapel.

Kelly’s Directory 1913 Hfds, P 167. ORLETON. A Primitive Methodist chapel.

 

On the 1884 OS Herefordshire 1:2,500 map map the building is marked as Methodist Chapel (Primitive)

On the 1903 OS Herefordshire 1:2,500 map the building is marked as Methodist Chapel (Primitive)

On the 1975 OS Herefordshire 1:2,500 map the building is marked as Orleton Common Methodist Church.

The above maps may be viewed at Old Maps

Methodist Church , Statistical Returns, 1940 – not recorded in Birmingham District.

 

From "Primitive Methodism in Shropshire" by Delia Garratt, there was a society at Orleton Common that appeared in the 1831 circuit book, also it appeared in the Ludlow circuit in 1840. The location of the original chapel or meeting place has yet to be found it may have been on this site.

This page was added by Richard Beck on 28/10/2013.