Roston PM Chapel, Derbyshire

Photo:Roston Chapel, Squashly Bank

Roston Chapel, Squashly Bank

Rosemary Kopittke 2014

Photo:Roston Chapel, Squashly Bank

Roston Chapel, Squashly Bank

Rosemary Kopittke 2014

Photo:Location of the Roston Chapel

Location of the Roston Chapel

Squashly Bank, Roston

By Rosemary Kopittke

According to the Places of Worship database the Roston Chapel was founded in 1845.

White’s 1857 Directory of Derbyshire records that: ROSTON is a considerable village, 5 miles S.W. from Ashbourn, and three-quarters of a mile S.E. from Norbury. John Harrison, Esq., of Snelston Hall, is the principal owner. The common was enclosed in 1818, and the tithes were commuted in 1844, for £210. The Primitive Methodists have a chapel here, built in 1847, the land for which was given by Mr. William Smith, of Sedsall.

Wright’s Directory of South Derbyshire, 1874, mentions the presence of the chapel as does Kelly’s Directory of Derbyshire, 1912 but neither give any details.

The chapel is mentioned several times in the 1890s in the Derby Mercury as raising money for the Derbyshire Royal Infirmary.

It is one of two Methodist chapels in Squashly Bank, Roston, the other belonging to the Wesleyan Methodists. Today both are privately owned.

References

Places of Worship Database http://churchdb.gukutils.org.uk/DBY1146.php

 

This page was added by Rosemary Kopittke on 27/08/2014.