Primitive Methodist Insurance Company

By Raymond E.O.Ella

The Primitive Methodist Connexion had its own insurance company. It was incorporated in 1866 and dissolved following Methodist Union. Kendall records that the Connexional Insurance Company was the second of the strictly commercial houses established by the Primitive Methodist Church, the Book-Room being the first. A committee was formed following the Conference of 1859 to draw up the preliminaries for instituting an insurance society.

The Board of Directors on formation in 1866 were Henry Johnson McCulloch (an engineer from York), Thomas Gibson (a merchant from Sunderland), William Antliff (a PM Minister), William Stewart (a merchant from Newcastle upon Tyne), John Sissons (a tailor and draper from Hull), Thomas Dearlove (from Leeds), and Thomas Newell (a PM Minister). The Rev. Richard Davies was the Secretary, and Captain McCulloch was the treasurer.

The National Archives have the following records relating to the PM Insurance Company.

Files:

Ref. BT31/30757/3316: (also 07501758229). Board of Trade & Successors:

The Primitive Methodist Insurance Company Limited. Incorporated 1866 to 1932/3, Dissolved 1933. Company No: 3316.

References

H B Kendall, Origin and History of the PM Church, vol 2, 534ff

This page was added by Geoff Dickinson on 02/01/2018.