Pucklechurch Primitive Methodist chapel

location of former Pucklechurch Primitive Methodist chapel

68 Parkfield Rd BS16 9PS

By Christopher Hill

The Primitive Methodist magazine for December 1851 contains an account by E.F of the opening of Pucklechurch Primitive Methodist chapel on 11th September 1851.

The village was missioned in 1834 and the Religious Census of March 1851 records Primitive Methodists using a shared building, managed by Hugh Bennetts, a Primitive Methodist local preacher, who submitted the return. It held 40 but that clearly was not enough; "the Congregation is often Fiftey or More".

To find increased accommodation, Mr Bennetts bought the only freehold land in the village and sold part of it on for the society to built a chapel 20' x 15', 13' high to the wall plate.  It had a deal floor, a blue slate roof and cost £90 of which one third had been raised at the time of opening.  It was lit by "a somewhat brilliant camphene lamp"

Donors included Mr Bennetts (for the Bible), Mrs Bennetts (for a handsome cushion) and Mr Humphries (for a pulpit hymn book). Preachers at the opening services were H. Cossam Esq,. D Knapp, Rev CT Harris of Stroud and the superintendent minister.

In due course it became Pucklechurch Methodist church, but by March 2009 in Street View it has become a private house, still proudly bearing its 1851 date stone.  Its immediate neighbour to the north west is the Rose and Crown.

Can anyone provide a picture?


Reference

Primitive Methodist magazine for December 1851 pp. 750-751

 

This page was added by Christopher Hill on 31/08/2016.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.