Reading, London Street Primitive Methodist chapel

33 London Street READING RG1 4PS

By Christopher Hill

There were at least 5 Primitive Methodist chapels in Reading:

  • Beecham Road;
  • Ebenezer Cumberland Road; 
  • Friar Street; 
  • London Street; 
  • Wokingham Road.

The impressive chapel in London Street seated 850 people when purchased in 1866.  It was a replacement for the first chapel called Salem in Minster Street.

It closed in 1940 and was subsequently used by a local newspaper and as a cinema before becoming the Reading Business Centre at the time of Keith Guyler's photograph.  On Google Street View in 2014 it is Great Expectations hotel and bar.  So much for temperance!  It is located in London Street rather than the current London Road.

Photo:Reading, London Street PM Chapel, 15.10.2015

Reading, London Street PM Chapel, 15.10.2015

GW Oxley

Photo:Reading London Street Primitive Methodist chapel

Reading London Street Primitive Methodist chapel

Keith Guyler 1993

Photo:Reading, London Street Primitive Methodist chapel

Reading, London Street Primitive Methodist chapel

Handbook of the Primitive Methodist Conference 1915; Englesea Brook Museum

Photo:interior of Reading, London Street Primitive Methodist chapel

interior of Reading, London Street Primitive Methodist chapel

Handbook of the Primitive Methodist Conference 1915; Englesea Brook Museum

former London Road Primitive Methodist chapel, Reading

This page was added by Christopher Hill on 30/07/2015.
Comments about this page

A photograph of the Chapel as it is today, kindly sent in by GW Oxley, has been added to the page.

By Jill Barber
On 29/10/2015

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.