Salford Primitive Methodist Chapel

Photo: Illustrative image for the 'Salford Primitive Methodist Chapel' page

Bedfordshire

By Tim Banks

A Primitive Methodist Chapel at Water Hall, Salford Ford was registered for worship on 17 August 1866 by John Wilson, Linslade, (town missionary). At this time, Salford Ford was in the parish of Aspley Guise.

A Sunday School room was built in 1869. The Foundation Stone being laid by the Superintendent Minister, Rev T Penrose followed by 45 other memorial stones being laid by other people. Collections at the Ceremony and at a public meeting in the evening were £26 13s 6d.

The Chapel is included in the Return of Churches, Chapels and Buildings registered for Religious Worship in Great Britain 1882

Salford PM maintained an active presence in the village. For example; the Leighton Buzzard Observer and Linslade Gazette 10 September 1889 reported that the Sunday School Anniversary had been held at Salford on 1 September. Collections at the afternoon and evening services in aid of chapel funds  had totalled 13s 6d and the ‘annual treat’ had been held on the Monday. Whilst a few weeks later the same paper reported that on 20 October 1889, Harvest Festival services were held when the preacher was Mr Biggs of Lidlington. The following day a public tea was held followed by a service of song entitled ‘Little Dot’ with readings given by Rev A Sutcliffe.

Having been part of the Leighton Buzzard PM Circuit, Salford Ford became part of Newport Pagnell Circuit in 1875.

The registration for worship was cancelled on 5 February 1897.

Sources and References:

Bedfordshire Chapels and Meeting Houses: Official Registration 1672-1901 Volume 75 Bedfordshire Historical Record Society – Edited by Edwin Welch

Leighton Buzzard Observer and Linslade Gazette: 1 June 1869; 10 September 1889; 29 October 1889.

Return of Churches, Chapels and Buildings registered for Religious Worship in Great Britain 1882

Bedfordshire and Luton Archives and Record Service – Community Archives website

This page was added by Tim Banks on 08/05/2016.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.